Re: IPP under emacs [was: Re: Post-22.1 development?]

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: IPP under emacs [was: Re: Post-22.1 development?]
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:40:48 -0400

On Jun 8, 2007, at 17:16, Jason Rumney wrote:
but I don't see how it would support ones where use of TLS is
negotiated by the application protocol after the connection is established

It effective handles all network traffic by passing it through gnutls or
openssl. The former at least should handle TLS as well as SSL.

Yes, but from skimming the code and a couple comments in other email, it looks like negotiation of TLS at any time other than connection establishment is done using SIGALRM to gnutls, which only starttls.el seems to do, and there was a report that it's not working for someone on Windows. I have no idea whether openssl supports something like that. And if a protocol does any special wrapping or encoding of the TLS-encoded data, I'm guessing it's not going to work well...

Ken