RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:53:18 -0700

> > The `completing-read' code is here:
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/icicles-fn.el. Perhaps others more
> > familiar with Emacs implementation can advise whether some of this
> > redefinition could or should be moved to the vanilla definition of
> > `completing-read' or what might be a "cleaner way" to do what
> > is done now this way. I would advise just leaving this code as is,
> > at least for now.
>
> Redefining completing-read is a no-no in my book.  Please try to rewrite
> your code so as not to do that (e.g. using minibuffer-setup-hook).

I don't see how to do that. Concrete suggestions welcome. Please have a look
at the existing code. Likewise for the other, related functions
(`read-file-name', etc.).

I already do a lot of stuff on `minibuffer-setup-hook'. See, for instance,
`icicle-minibuffer-setup', which is on `minibuffer-setup-hook' when in
Icicle mode. I have no idea how to do what would need to be done for
`completing-read', `read-file-name',... with `minibuffer-setup-hook'.

The code restores the original definitions when Icicle mode is exited, so
I'm not sure why the redefinition within Icicle mode is a no-no. I'm not
arguing, but I don't see the reason for the prohibition.

> Also, if it turns out to be impossible, or very inconvenient,
> then post a request for enhancement to make it possible/easier.

I have no idea what to request. Perhaps if you explain what you mean about
using minibuffer-setup-hook, there will be no need.

> >> it can replace some top-level commands with Icicles
> >> versions (e.g. `find-file' with `icicle-find-file').
> > I should be clear that this is not about redefining commands;
> > it is about remapping their bindings: the bindings for
> > `find-file' are mapped to `icicle-find-file'.
>
> I.e. find-file is not changed.  You just remap C-x C-f to your
> command, right?  That's perfectly fine.

That is correct. I believe that only the functions I listed are actually
redefined (and only while in Icicle mode).