RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 06:30:40 -0700

> >> C-RET is kind of difficult to produce in a terminal, meaning that some
> >> of these emacs features are difficult to test for us emacs terminal
> >> users.
> >
> > Since C-SPC toggles the normal mark, I was looking for "similar
> bindings"
> > to toggle the rectangle mark (C-RET) and global mark (S-C-SPC).
> >
> > I chose C-RET to set the rectangle mark, since RET has a nice
> > mostly-rectangle shape, and C-RET is easy to type.
> >

> > Do you have any suggestions for alternative bindings on a terminal?
>
> No I dont really.
>
> I dont really understand why C-RET doesnt work either.
>
> I use a terminal emulator called Putty sometimes, and an xterm
> sometimes. They differ in which keys are acceptable. For instance I
> use shift-arrows for moving between windows using
> (windmove-default-keybindings). I need to patch Putty to make
> shift-arrows work, but it works directly with xterm.
>
> If I could find out which keys are acceptable in terminals maybe I
> could contribute better.

This is getting off thread for the Icicles proposal.

WRT Icicles, FWIW: Icicles makes several minibuffer bindings that are keys
you cannot use in terminal mode. For this reason, if you use terminal mode,
then Icicles warns you that you probably don't want to use it in terminal
mode without rebinding some keys, and the same thing is stated in the doc.
You will want to rebind S-TAB at the least.

I tried to pick keys that 1) were not already taken or 2) were not very
useful in minibuffer editing.