cursor placement on mouse click

From: David Reitter
Subject: cursor placement on mouse click
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:11:43 +0100

Begin forwarded message:

From: Eric Bailey <address@hidden>
Date: 12 June 2007 21:48:01 BDT
To: address@hidden
Subject: [Aquamacs-bugs] Cursor placement issues on mouse click

Enter your bug report here.

If I click on what appears to be the right half of a character in the
buffer, the I-beam cursor will appear to the _left_ of that
character; I would expect it to be on the right.  The hit detection
is definitely off; the exact place to click on a character to get the
cursor on the right of it appears to begin about 10-20% from the
right edge of the drawn area for that character.

For example, if I have the string 'ad' and I want the cursor to
appear between 'a' and 'd', I could click on the right edge of
'a' (the vertical part), the whitespace in between the two
characters, or anywhere on 'd' excluding its right vertical edge.

Needless to say, the normal mouse targeting of click and type leads
to a lot of misplaced text.

I agree with the OP and would like to see the behavior changed, however, only in case `cursor-type' is set to `bar' or to ('bar . width).

In GNU Emacs 22.1.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)
  of 2007-06-06 on applecore.inf.ed.ac.uk - Aquamacs Distribution 1.0a
Windowing system distributor `Apple Inc.', version 10.4.9
configured using `configure  '--without-x' '--prefix=/usr/local''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: nil
   locale-coding-system: iso-8859-1
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
   smart-frame-positioning-mode: t
   aquamacs-styles-mode: t
   recentf-mode: t
   encoded-kbd-mode: t
   osx-key-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   pc-selection-mode: t
   cua-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mac-input-method-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: 0
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
   utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <report-emacs-bug>
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <report-emacs-bug>

Recent messages:
customizations.el (source)...done
positions.el (source)...done
For an introduction to Aquamacs Emacs, type Apple-?.
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc. (C) 2007 D.
Reitter. No Warranty.
You may redistribute Aquamacs under the GNU General Public License.
Type C-h C-c to view.
Sending...
Sending...done