Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:22:06 -0400

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>> I'd be surprised if it's not the case.  A feature freeze for Emacs-23 will
>> probably not happen for a while.  Several people will have to eat their
>> shorts if Emacs-23 comes out before 2010.
>
> (Perhaps that was reverse psychology)
>
> Does anyone believe there is any technical reason why an Emacs 23 with
> unicode and multi-tty merged in could not be released, say, within one
> year?
>
> It seems technically feasible to me (coming from a position of
> ignorance), and would presumably go some way to helping restore Emacs'
> reputation and relevance.

If we continue to develop Emacs 23 in a spirit similar to the Emacs 22
release cycle, a 2010 release is extremely optimistic.

I, personally, would prefer a shorter release cycle for Emacs 23.  One
approach would be to limit the Emacs 23 changes to unicode, multi-tty,
and xft, with a *very* limited set of other changes.  In this
scenario, a two year cycle is feasible.

No matter which route we take, it would be nice to have some sense of
direction for Emacs 23.  Jay Belanger recently posted a message asking
about the policy for trunk development; I, too, would like to know the
answer to this.