Re: Saving markup formats

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Saving markup formats
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:56:11 +0200

[ I'd suggest to move this discussion to emacs-devel ]

On Sat, Jun 16 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:

[ Juri Linkov: ]
>     What are the most preferable formats to save markup?  One variant is
>     Enriched text.  It was designed for using in e-mail, but actually nobody
>     uses it nowadays.  Most people prefer HTML in e-mail as a replacement of
>     plain text.
>
> HTML would be useful.  RTF would be useful.  XML would be useful.
> The old Word format would be useful, at least to be able to read it.
> If you implement any of these, it will be a nice contribution.
> If you implement more than one, even better.

Oliver Scholz <address@hidden> (Cc-ed) has done some work on an
RTF reader for Emacs a couple of years ago.  Maybe his work is useful
in the current context.  Oliver has signed papers for Emacs (past and
future changes) and I'm quite sure he'd assign this code as well.

Here's the summary from the project page:

,----[ http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/emacs-rtf/ ]
| This package aims to implement the "Rich Text Format" (RTF), version
| 1.5, as a file format for GNU Emacs. It also provides the necessary
| framework to edit RTF documents in an Emacs buffer. It is thus
| intended to enhance the word processing capabilities of the Emacs
| environment. The goal is to enable a user to edit RTF documents
| without launching a non-Emacs application like OpenOffice or abiword.
|
| This package is in a very early state of development. Currently only
| the reader is in the work, and only the main structure of it is
| implemented. Some RTF documents are already rendered correctly,
| though.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--