Re: Saving markup formats

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Saving markup formats
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:54:48 +0300

> [ I'd suggest to move this discussion to emacs-devel ]
> On Sat, Jun 16 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:
> [ Juri Linkov: ]
>>     What are the most preferable formats to save markup?  One variant is
>>     Enriched text.  It was designed for using in e-mail, but actually nobody
>>     uses it nowadays.  Most people prefer HTML in e-mail as a replacement of
>>     plain text.
>>
>> HTML would be useful.  RTF would be useful.  XML would be useful.
>> The old Word format would be useful, at least to be able to read it.
>> If you implement any of these, it will be a nice contribution.
>> If you implement more than one, even better.
>
> Oliver Scholz <address@hidden> (Cc-ed) has done some work on an
> RTF reader for Emacs a couple of years ago.  Maybe his work is useful
> in the current context.  Oliver has signed papers for Emacs (past and
> future changes) and I'm quite sure he'd assign this code as well.

I suppose the most important question is not whether Emacs can read/write
files in some particular format, but rather a question whether Emacs can
render format elements correctly on screen.  That's whether Emacs is ready
to be a WYSIWYG editor with all its required features or not.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/