Re: Saving markup formats

From: Dave Pawson
Subject: Re: Saving markup formats
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:18:00 +0100

On 18/06/07, Nic James Ferrier <address@hidden> wrote:

> - editing raw XML files (e.g. with the help of nxml);
> - editing DOM trees (like in graphical XML editors: expand/collapse
>   subtrees, add/delete a node, change its attributes);
> - editing on the visual representation of the XML file (WYSIWYG).
>
> Which one from these you are talking about?

Not one of those.
For example, here's a use case.

I would like to be able to open the word file directly in Emacs and
see some view of it. It doesn't matter if it's structural rather than
WYSIWYG but I don't want to look at Word XML thanks... it's awful.

I agree it's an aweful form of XML, and possibly that's the reason
not to choose to operate on it?

Why not use one of the many CV XML formats around, then transform
from that into Office XML?

That way emacs is still the tool of choice, and you can go to html
and pdf formats for the users that still want a sensible format.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.