Re: A wish, a plea

From: Nic James Ferrier
Subject: Re: A wish, a plea
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 22:26:25 +0100

Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm actually using *scratch* quite often, as a scratch pad for stuff I
> don't want to save (and don't want to be asked, if I want to save them
> on exit), as well as for ad-hoc elisp stuff.
>
> I like the feature of having *scratch* at hand from the beginning in
> every emacs session, and I would miss it...

Yes.

I like it and use it too. But we don't need it to be the default
buffer when you start an unconfigured Emacs.

> Yeah, there is much truth in that, and I often fail to read stuff my
> self -- but if something goes wrong I don't blame others for my fault.
> Especially if the text in question is so short, clear and easy to
> notice as this comments in the *scratch* buffer.

It's the fact that it's the default buffer for an unconfigured emacs
that is the problem.

If we can help people out by changing the default then we should.

> Please leave *scratch* alone.

*scratch* doesn't need to be changed. Emacs needs to change so that
 *scratch* is not the default buffer for an unconfigured Emacs.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk