Re: A wish, a plea

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A wish, a plea
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:08:53 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Being reminded of Notepad and Word is not in itself good or bad.
>> Could you explain where the peskiness lies?
>>

> You came up with one good source of peskiness yourself:
>
>> Uh, it has the nasty side effect of starting to write to my disk
>> without asking my confirmation.  If I have started several Emacs
>> instances, I don't want them complaining about file locks and similar
>> nonsense just because I use the *scratch* buffer in both.

I never argued for abolishing the *scratch* buffer (not auto-saved).
And I find it quite appropriate that two instances of modified
*unnamed* buffers (auto-saved) will complain eventually.

That's inherent in the design if we want to offer buffers that are not
volatile but still basically anonymous.

--
David Kastrup