Re: mode line: 1) indicate region size, if active; 2) highlight column #

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: mode line: 1) indicate region size, if active; 2) highlight column # if > limit
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:40:49 -0400

    > If several people try the region size feature, and say they find it
    > useful, then I will reconsider it.

    I suggest to install both features, but disable them by default.

I don't want to do this, because I don't see that the size
feature is sufficiently useful to make that worth while.
We can't afford to install every feature that someone offers.

    Also I suggest to fix the column highlight feature to highlight only
    the column number in the combined format "(%l,%c)", not the line number.

Yes.

    And also to change its face definition `modelinepos-column-warning' to
    inherit from `font-lock-warning-face'.

I am not sure it is worth defining a face just for this.