Re: find-file-noselect needs save-match-data

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: find-file-noselect needs save-match-data
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:19:36 -0400

    > Using markers helps avoid strange results when the code inside the
    > construct edits the buffer.  I think that is a good reason for this
    > feature.

    It is neither documented in the Elisp manual nor in the DOC string

That is true.  Details like this don't always have to be
documented, but maybe this one should be.

                                                                       and
    is not the functionality the function is intended to provide.

Isn't it?

      It is
    also inconsistent with save_search_regs in search.c which means that
    the documentation in

You are right.  save_search_regs was written in a way that was
inconsistent with the already-existing save-match-data.

Is this a real problem?
Do we need to change save_search_regs?
I hope not, because it would cause a slowdown.
But no so much of one, since it only does anything
if there is a real search inside the sentinel or filter.

One annoying thing is that the use of save-match-data by the sentinel
or filter won't prevent save_search_regs from also doing its thing.
If save-match-data were implemented in C, it could do so.