RE: add `completing-read-history'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: add `completing-read-history'
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 07:39:31 -0700

>     IMO, it's good to encourage Emacs-Lisp programmers to use
>     completion more for reading user input. I suspect that some
>     of us use `read-string' and `read-from-minibuffer' in
>     situations where we might advantageously use `completing-read'
>     (or another read-with-completion function).
>
> I don't like the idea of complicating minibuffer input or taking away
> commands in cases where there is no real set of valid completions.

I'm not sure what you're saying. You seem to say:

. That would complicate minibuffer input. Why? If you didn't hit TAB, then
there would be no change. OK, to insert a TAB char you would need to hit
C-q, so I guess that complicates things slightly. Also, for `?', since Emacs
doesn't allow `?' for input during completion. Also, for ` ', except for
filenames, for the same reason. (Better that Emacs should allow `?' and ` '
as input during completion, IMO.)

. That would take away some other commands. What commands would be "taken
away"?

. These bad things would happen when there is no real set of valid
completions. I don't know what that means. Can you give an example?

No one would be forced to use `completing-read-history' in a context where
such bad things might happen. It would be available for use in other
contexts.