Re: `*' interactive spec in some text-killing functions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: `*' interactive spec in some text-killing functions
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:04:48 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 6/27/07, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Would you also prohibit switching _off_ overwrite-mode?  If yes,
>> why?  If no, why?
>
> Prohibit? (overwrite-mode 1) works regardless of `*', so certainly
> code would be able to switch it, if really needed. I wasn't talking
> about "prohibiting", but about "warning" (that's what the `*' does
> IMHO).

No.  `*' does not warn, it throws an error.  The function is not
entered interactively at all.  That is the reason that the kill
functions that want to affect the kill buffer can't use `*'.

And a readonly buffer does not get a warning when you try to change
it, but again throws an error, and nothing happens.  Regardless
whether you try it interactively or not.  `*' does not change that: it
might just throw an error at a more convenient time.  Especially, when
otherwise the interactive form or the function will laboriously
require some user input/interaction, only to throw an error
afterwards.