RE: dired-details: show/hide file details in Dired

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: dired-details: show/hide file details in Dired
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 13:49:32 -0700

>       * then, by reducing details in dired, you see only the file names
>           and lots of empty space in the buffer.
>
> Is that because the lines are short?

Yes.

>     Presumably, frame fitting in an instance of Emacs in which you use one
>     frame at a time or only one frame during your session becomes `buffer
>     fitting'.
>
> Right.  It would make sense to use side-by-side buffers, in the style
> of a file browser.  That would be a natural next change to make,
> after this one.
>
> However, I don't see a need to hold off installing dired-details.el
> until that further change is made.  Rather, let's install it,
> and that will encourage others to work on the next change.

I guess that what you two mean by "buffer fitting" is what I referred to as
window fitting. Is that correct - do you mean resizing the window
(especially horizontally) to fit the buffer? Here, again, is the previous
exchange about that, so you can see if it's the same thing you're talking
about:

Mathias> similar to how your frames shrink, Dired could split
>      > the window and show more when you got space back
>      > from hiding details...

Drew> I agree that it could be good to automatically expand and contract