RE: need a way to override defface?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: need a way to override defface?
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 20:00:10 -0700

> > `setq' will override a value already given to a variable by `defvar' or
> > `defcustom', but is there a way to override a face already defined by
> > `defface'?  Interactively, you can use `C-M-x' on another `defface' to
> > override the previous definition, but how can you do that
> programmatically
> > (without resorting to `eval-defun')?
> >
> > If there is no good way to do this, how about adding one?
>
> What about the set-face-* functions?

Sure. What I meant, however, was something analogous to what `setq' does for
`defvar' and `defcustom'. Something, for instance, that a user can put in
.emacs to override a predefined `defface'.

Yes, I realize that users can use Customize, but I'm thinking of something
less interactive.

As another example, I just sent a message to the list about a buff-menu.el
patch. In order for others to try it out, I need to tell people to
explicitly use `C-M-x' on a particular `defface' sexp. This is because
buff-menu.el is preloaded, it calls `defface', and the patch gives a
different definition of one of the faces. It would be simpler to give people
a snippet of code to load (not eval with `C-M-x'), to override the
predefined `defface'.