Re: Autoloading comment-forward

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Autoloading comment-forward
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:26:34 -0400

>     Richard, do you have an objection to preloading newcomment.el (after
>     changing forward-comment to comment-forward-internal, adding backward
>     motion to comment-forward and making forward-comment an alias of
>     comment-forward).

> It is ok if it can't cleanly be avoided.  But I'd rather look
> for a way to avoid it, and I expect that should be possible.

> For instance, the code of comment-forward could call a new
> preloaded function equivalent to `comment-normalize-vars',
> and `comment-normalize-vars' itself could call that new function
> to do the work.  This way, calls to `comment-normalize-vars'
> will still be a good way to cause newcomment.el to get loaded,
> and everything that works now will continue to work.

If someone else wants to do that, I can't prevent it, but spreading the code
like this just in the hope to avoid a few KB in the default build (most
people will load newcomment.el sooner or later since it's loaded as soon as
you hit M-; or use auto-fill-mode or ...), is just a waste of time IMNSHO.

        Stefan