Re: slow make-frame + face initialization / importing x resources

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: slow make-frame + face initialization / importing x resources
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:32:58 -0400

    > I think it has to be done when the frame is created
    > because there is no chance to do it later.

    How 'bout doing it earlier: i.e. share faces between all similar frames?

If there were no such thing as the functions set-face-XYZ, that would
work.  Those functions can be used to specify face attributes in a
single frame.  If you copy the faces from another similar frame, then
you'd get the wrong results if those functions were previously used to
change certain faces in that frame.

It could be that those functions are not a very useful feature
and should be eliminated.  We can ask whether any Lisp packages
outside Emacs really use them.

Another problem case is where you reevaluate an edited defface.
What was right on a similar frame now is not going to be right
in the future.

I am sure it is possible to take account of these things in
implementing new face initialization code.

    The current code checks every possible X resource setting for every face.
    Why not list the resources instead and interpret them?

That is true, but you still face the issues listed above
if you want to copy face attributes from another frame.