Re: mode-line with Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: mode-line with Tramp
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:32:28 +0200

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > (add-hook 'find-file-hooks 'tramp-minor-mode t)
>
> It's a bit misleading because tramp-minor-mode doesn't have any keybindings
> so it's not a real minor-mode.  Also for dired, GUD buffer etc. this shows
> nothing.

Oh, it was just code I've taken from Tramp 2.0. There was a "real"
Tramp minor mode, including key bindings, because it offered
alternative implementations for `compile' etc.

> I think conditioning on (file-remote-p default-directory) was the right idea.
>
> How about something like this for binding.el:

[...]

> And %R (not implemented yet) works a bit like %*: print R or hyphen depending
> on whether (file-remote-p default-directory) is true or not.

I don't know whether it is OK to call pure Lisp functions in
decode_mode_spec. Besides of this, it looks natural to me.

And one could also think about a host indication %h, which is a
candidate for frame-title-format or header-line-format.

However, I'm rather chary with changes in xdisp.c, bindings.el etc,
because I don't know whether they are accepted by the majority.

Best regards, Michael.