Re: set-locale-environement: strange default detection

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: set-locale-environement: strange default detection
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:16:39 +0200

Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> LC_CTYPE should definitely determine the preferred encodings.
>
> I agree.  But then language-environment definitely shouldn't be used
> to determine the language for documentation/ui/anythinglikethat...
>
> So, what about the idea I sketched in my patch?

The proper fix would be to have something more fine-grained than
language-environment inside of Emacs.

Until such a time, your fix appeared like the right thing to do at
that junction to me.  Your patch (I am going my memory here) has the
disadvantage that it might look up the empty string as a language
explicitly, expecting it to turn up nil.  That's sort of ugly.

--
David Kastrup