Re: etags.el tags-search use global syntax table

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: etags.el tags-search use global syntax table
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:42:33 -0400

    +The optional argument KEEP-IF-CLASS is a list of symbols. If the
    +major mode has any of these symbols in its mode-class property, or if
    +one the symbols in the list is t, we do not set the major mode."

I am not sure what that means.  Does it mean that if I pass (t foo)
for KEEP-IF-CLASS, then set-auto-mode will certainly not set the major
mode?

That is what the words seem to say -- but it doesn't seem useful.
What's the point of calling set-auto-mode and never setting the major mode?

Also, if you want a way to do that, why make the signal be a list
containing t?  Why not just pass t as the argument?  Why make it a
list if the rest of the list is irrelevant?

One other question.  Since set-auto-mode doesn't look at mode: local
bindings, is it sufficient?

Aside from that, it looks good.  Next question is how fast it runs.