Re: A system for localizing documentation strings

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: A system for localizing documentation strings
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:18:29 +0900

On 27 juil. 07, at 09:30, Kenichi Handa wrote:

In article <address@hidden>, Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden> writes:

On 26 juil. 07, at 20:54, Kenichi Handa wrote:

To offer a practical possibility for interactive localization we'd

Could you please explain what is "interactive localization",
and why gettext doesn't work for it.

gettext delivers an intermediate file (PO etc) that needs to be
translated and then put back into the code to reach localization.

What I mean by "interactive localization" is that the translator
could translate, evaluate the function in which the translation
occured and the translation would be right there.

Thank you for the explanation.  In the case of translating
labels, menus, etc, I see some merit in getting translation
instantly, but, for function/variable docstrings, I don't
understand why it's that important to get the translation
instantly by evaluating a funciton.

I don't know the emacs code. So my idea was that pretty much everything was a function.

If we manage to have a process that smoothly handles the functions that define labels and menus etc then, as a "side effect" the same process will smoothly handle the rest.

Also, getting the translation immediately allows for easier delivery: the translation can be checked right away in context, modified if necessary and the result is better than if the translation has to be later re-imported in the code (or wherever) for checks and modifications.

Jean-Christophe Helary