Re: Fwd: server.el hardcodes directory /tmp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fwd: server.el hardcodes directory /tmp
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 02:13:20 -0400

> Would someone please DTRT and ack?
> If the bug is in Emacs 22, please fix it in Emacs 22.

> Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 12:56:42 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)
> From: Klaus Straubinger <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: server.el hardcodes directory /tmp

> In server.el the variables server-temp-file-regexp and
> server-socket-dir contain direct references to the directory "/tmp"
> which are not appropriate in operating systems like Microsoft Windows.
> The second one is not even customizable.

> My suggestion would be to use the variable temporary-file-directory
> instead.

The problem is that the location needs to be agreed upon between server.el
and emacsclient.  Since emacsclient does not have access to Elisp in general
and temporary-file-directory in particular, this is not an option.

I guess server-socket-dir could/should use something else than /tmp under
w32, tho I have no idea what value would make sense.  Also maybe this could
obey $TEMP and/or $TMPDIR, assuming the same value is used for both the
`emacs' and the `emacsclient' processes (which is not a necessarily correct
assumption, sadly).

        Stefan