Re: can't turn off font-lock

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: can't turn off font-lock
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 05:37:35 +0300

> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:54:01 -0500
> From: address@hidden (Karl Berry)
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Eli's mention of "C-u C-x =" is very helpful, I had missed that in the
> manual.  When I run it in the filenames in the grep output (after -nw
> this time), I see the face listed as "(compilation-info underline
> underline)".  And unfortunately, I have no idea how to translate that
> into a face name to disable without delving into the sources, which is
> what I was doing anyway.  Oh well.  Is there a better way?

Yes: go to the face name and press RET.  You will be presented with
the Custom buffer where you can customize this face.

The face name, btw, is the first part: `compilation-info'.

> Meanwhile, I have also never been able to figure out how to disable an
> individual face (and could find no documentation about it, either).  I
> gather I'm supposed to set whatever-face-symbol to 'default or "default"
> or something?  Can you show me how you do it, please?

One way is to use defface to have the face inherit from `default'.
See the examples in the various *.el files (search for ":inherit").