RE: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files

From: Davis Herring
Subject: RE: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:10:56 -0700 (PDT)

> If you have a habit of hitting TAB RET, then you are, in effect, expecting
> TAB to complete to a complete match, so that RET will open the existing
> file whose name matches. With that expectation, incomplete matches throw
> you off.  In that case, you want TAB to complete only against existing
> files, no?  Then why not bind `file-file-existing'? That's what it's for.

`find-file-existing' doesn't actually affect TAB; it affects RET.  So it's
true that it has a desirable effect on the dyad TAB RET, but it affects
all other RETs too.  By having special consideration for RET only after
TAB, we can change that dyad only.  That said, I have no strong opinion
here; I just want the true distinctions between options recognized.

Davis

shipping.