Re: address@hidden: Eamcs 22.1 comint-scroll-show-maximum-output bug]

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Eamcs 22.1 comint-scroll-show-maximum-output bug]
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:04:45 -0400

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     comint-scroll-show-maximum-output
>
> does not work as documented when set to nil.

This is caused by your 2002-12-28 change to comint-mode that sets
scroll-conseratively to 10000. This was reported and diagnosed two

    From:      Richard M. Stallman
    Subject:   Re: scrolling in comint mode always conservative
    Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:03:02 -0400

    I put that in because it did not work otherwise. So I can't take
    it out. I could imagine conditionalizing that setq on some of
    those other variables, such as comint-scroll-to-bottom... That
    would not be 100% correct, since changing those variables would
    not have the right effect on an existing shell buffer. But it
    might be better than nothing.

I tried let-binding scroll-conservatively in
comint-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom, but it does not help. In other
words, things like this don't work, for reasons I don't understand:

  (setq scroll-conservatively 0)
  (let ((scroll-conservatively 10000))  ; no effect
    (goto-char (point-max)))            ; still acts like s-c = 0