Re: Redundant icon in tool-bar

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Redundant icon in tool-bar
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 17:00:02 +0100

On 2007-09-02 16:39 +0100, Jan Djärv wrote:
>> Today I suddenly found that the first icon and the second icon from the
>> left are substantially similar in functionality. The third icon is
>> likely to have a similar icon to the second one (some sort of directory
>> icon). Thus I think it might be better to remove the second icon from
>> the tool-bar. It make it look simpler yet doesn't reduce any
>> functionality.
>
> It does not reduce functionality per se, but the file open dialogs look and
> behave different.

The second one won't allow to open a non-existent file.

For beginners, the difference is not important or many of them fail to
realize the difference. And once they get used to Emacs, they start
turning tool-bar off anyway.

That the two icons behave substantially similarly creates confusion for
users.

--
Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

      Gnus is one component of the Emacs operating system.