RE: mouse-autoselect-window

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: mouse-autoselect-window
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 14:11:32 -0700

> > I repeat that the doc string should mention that this option is
> > about frame focus. And it should say that (apparently) the
> > (only?) effect is that it makes the mouse follow the frame
> > focus, by moving the mouse to whatever frame has the focus.
>
> Variables do not have effects!

Shouting doesn't make your point more convincing.

Changing the value of a variable can have an effect. Apparently, the only
effect of _setting this variable to non-nil_ is that that makes the mouse
follow the frame. (Is there another user-noticeable effect?)

> The purpose of the variable is clearly stated in the doc string. Its
> purpose is to tell code that wants to use the variable what the window
> system's focus policy is.

And what might the code do with that information? What is the
user-observable change in behavior due to a change in value of the variable?
That information is important to understanding what this variable is for.