Re: display-buffer-change

From: David Kågedal
Subject: Re: display-buffer-change
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:57:20 +0200

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> To get back to the OP's example scenario, starting from

>> Why would

>> be better than

>> and why should it depend on B being dedicated?
>
> I can only speculate: B is my fixed point for compiling, tracing,
> debugging, observing or controlling the world.  It's the area of the
> screen I'm looking first when I run into troubles.  I don't want it to
> change size or position because I wouldn't find it at its usual place in
> the shape I got used to.
>
> More likely it's because the OP got used to the A / C / B behavior over
> the years.  Maybe he can tell us more.

Exactly.  "B" is the "*compilation*" buffer in my case.  I need two
things from the window:

 1) The window should be dedicated to *compilation*

 2) The window should stick at the bottom

The size isn't really important, since I change it frequently anyway.

I agree that window-dedicated-p only promises me the first, but Emacs
21 gave me the second and Emacs 22 doesn't.  This make Emacs 22 less
useful and I reported the problem.

A window-local "unsplittable" flag that I can set could probably help.

I'm attaching the actual code I'm using, although the simple test case
I gave you shows the change.

Put these three files in your load-path and load compile-window.  Then
run a compilation with M-x compile.  You'll get a *compilation* window
that you can resize with "C-c ." which sticks to the bottom and stays
there.

David Kågedal