Re: 23.0.50; Can't switch to a buffer

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Can't switch to a buffer
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:07:29 +0200

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Leo,

> To reproduce:
>    1. `emacs -nw -q' in a terminal
>       Let's assume that *scratch* buffer is now displayed
>    2. M-x server-start
>    3. Open an X frame with emacsclient
>    4. In X frame, you won't be able to switch to any buffer that is
>       displayed in those tty frames.
>
> I found this very annoying as from time to time I have to go to the
> tty frame bury that buffer and go back to the X frame and switch to
> it. For example when I want to copy something out of Emacs to other
> applications such as firefox and I don't have a mouse there is no easy
> to do that in ttys.

I think the problem is that you use ido or iswitchb to switch to
buffers.  By default those try to raise the frame which displays the
buffer instead of switching to the buffer in the current frame.  With
multi-tty the problem can be even worse, because maybe the server runs
detached somewhere and cannot be raised and the user doesn't even know
which buffer it's displaying.

Because of that in

I proposed to change the default values of the variables that cause this
confusion to ask before trying to raise another frame.

Bye,
Tassilo