Re: rfn-eshadow.el and remote filenames

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: rfn-eshadow.el and remote filenames
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 22:28:55 -0400

> Tramp has an own implementation of substitute-in-file-name, which
> substitutes "//" and "/~" in the local filename part. In order to make
> it visible in the minibuffer, I'ld like to install the appended patch in
> the trunk.

> If you want to see it, type something like "/tmp//su::/etc//us <TAB>" in
> the minibuffer, when opening a file.

> Any objections?

Current rfn-eshadow.el does not assume anything about the behavior of
substitute-in-file-name and I think we should keep it that way.  Obviously,
it does have some preconceived notion about how substitute-in-file-name
*might* work, but it works safely in "all" cases.

Currently, rfn-eshadow.el only recognizes when substitute-in-file-name drops
a prefix of the current file name, so we need to extend it to recognize
cases where substitute-in-file-name drops some internal part instead.
How to do that efficiently?  I'm not sure.

I'd prefer we find a more general way to do it, but if not, maybe your code
can be kept mostly, but then it should check its result against the return
value of substitute-in-file-name.

        Stefan