Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 20:54:35 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> But still, if the user did type "emacs FILE", it is IMO bad
> behavior to show them the splash screen instead.  It looks like
> breaking the contract with the users: they asked us to display the
> file, not the splash screen.

Yeah.  When I first made Emacs 22 available in Debian, I got lots of
reports from users who thought that it was a bug that Emacs showed
the splash screen instead of their file.  At some point I even
considered changing the default value of `inhibit-splash-screen' to
avoid getting those reports (but I didn't).