Re: un-deprecating CL

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: un-deprecating CL
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:25:02 -0400

    > Adding `setf' really means adding `defstruct'.  That might be a good
    > feature to add, but it is too complex because of all the structure
    > options.  If we get rid of most of them, `defstruct' could be simple
    > enough to add.

    I don't understand---defstruct is already implemented in the CL
    package. Are you talking about copying that definition, removing many
    of the options, and then pasting it somewhere else?

Yes, exactly.

I would be glad to add a simple defstruct construct, but the
complexity of the defstruct construct as now implemented in CL is too
much.  CL is a compatibility package, and it was written with a view
towards supporting as much as possible of Common Lisp functionality.
That is a fine goal for a compatibility package, but it is the wrong
goal for designing Emacs Lisp, and I will not let it creep in merely
because we would like to have some kind of defstruct.

Thus, I am looking for a solution that adds a simple defstruct
construct to Emacs Lisp.

We could code it so that there is a stub for CL to redefine so as to
implement all those structure options.  Thus, programs which load
CL could still use them, and we would not have much duplicated code.
But they wouldn't be part of standard Emacs Lisp itself.