RE: can't set both mode-line color and default frame font?

From: Davis Herring
Subject: RE: can't set both mode-line color and default frame font?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:37:56 -0700 (PDT)

>> Emacs Lisp can also choose not to customize something at all.  So if it
>> does choose to do so, that has greater weight than the opinion of
>> something which only ever has one.
>
> Maybe I've misunderstood you. I'm not trying to be cute, so correct me if
> you meant something different by "choose not to customize".

You have -- but not that phrase.  I meant that if Lisp does choose -to-
customize, that should take precedence because it is a choice (there's
your reason).

> Please elaborate. I don't follow.

There's nothing stopping us from supporting any or all of these:

(customize-face-override-resources 'default '((:background ...)))
(customize-face-defer-to-resources 'default '((:foreground ...)))
;; or
(customize-face 'default '((:stipple ...))) ; always overrides resources
(load-resources here)                       ; ok, now we override customize
(customize-face 'fringe '((:box ...)))      ; this overrides them again

The question is whether that's better or worse (I said "complicated" as
the metric) than doing something clever in a custom-file (or .emacs) or in
C when loading these preferences.

Davis

shipping.