Re: Folding emacsclient into emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Folding emacsclient into emacs
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 02:56:42 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> Much simpler heuristic would be checking for the existence of the
> dot emacs: if .emacs exists in the user's home directory this
> definitely means that the user is not a complete beginner

Disagree.  Just click "Options/Word Wrap in Text Modes" and
"Options/Save Options" and you qualify as an expert without startup
screen access?  No.

Anyway, first experiences are important.  If Emacs refuses to do what
is asked of it, that is not a good sign.  Either the splash screen
info is important, and then we want the user to _know_ how he'll get
it whenever he finally chooses to do so, or it isn't, and then frankly
the whole discussion would be pointless.