Re: gdba locals buffer does not show function arguments

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: gdba locals buffer does not show function arguments
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:01:20 -0600

>> I was debugging using gdba today and found that the "locals" buffer
>> does not show the arguments to the current function.

Nick> Yes, but they are shown in the stack buffer with their value
Nick> (although the type isn't given).  This is due to the underlyng
Nick> GDB CLI command "info stack".  The "locals" buffer currently
Nick> uses the output of "info locals".  The output of "info args"
Nick> could also be used but that would result in duplication.

Yeah, I did notice the info in the stack window.  I found that harder
to read, though.  The locals window is more nicely formatted.  Also,
lines in the stack window are truncated; so if you have a long
function name, some values may be hidden.

I don't understand why gdb differentiates between locals and
arguments.  And I don't think that Emacs necessarily has to follow
this distinction.

Tom