Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 20:35:58 +0200

Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:16:16 +0200, Kim F Storm <address@hidden> said:
>
>> AFAICS, the only thing we can do to prevent that is to find a
>> reasonably non-annoying way to "say what we want to say".
>
>         I am not sure I understand this viewpoint. I have been using
>  Emacs since '88, so I am pretty "seasoned" -- but I don't seem to
>  see the issue you are raising; and I am wondering if we are looking
>  at the same thing.

Just to make sure we are: we are talking about the case where Emacs is
called with explicit file names given on the command line and instead
of displaying those files displays the splash screen.

>         What I saw was a splash screen -- but it came with a nice
>  _dismiss_ button, and even a checkbox that said "don't show this
>  again".  This is not much of an annoyance -- since it only ever appears
>  once,

Per session.

>  and has an easy way to dismiss the screen.

We are not talking about the case where Emacs is started without
explicit file name arguments: the current static splash screen
(including dismiss button) is the result of a lot of discussion.

We are talking about the case where you, for example, do
crontab -e
and get an Emacs splash screen as a reaction.

>         As someone who has influence with one of the much despised
>  GNU/Linux distribution makers, I can say your fears are somewhat
>  overblown.

As long as we are talking about the same thing.  Are we?