Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:33:01 -0400

>   Note that you can already resize windows by dragging modelines, so
> it's a matter of a threshold on window-height before closing one. But

It'd probably be an acceptable option, but only if we can resuscitate
a window after it disappeared since the user may accidentally move the
modeline further than she intended.

> anyway, I'm not sure this is really needed. If you happen to be unaware
> of the C-x 0/1 bindings, I find it quite natural to go to the View menu
> and get what you're looking for. This is pretty much compliant with what
> Windows or Mac users would expect from a well behaving GUI.

Could be.  My beginners didn't find it obvious at all.  They expect to
manage such visual elements in a more direct manner.  Especially since you
otherwise (i.e. if you use a menu bar entry) have to somehow specify which
window you want to delete.

>   Actually, Emacs windows are an obsolete concept that today brings us
> nothing but additional and unwanted complexity.

Not when running in a tty.

        Stefan