RE: generate 3) S-mouse-2: follow link in new window

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: generate 3) S-mouse-2: follow link in new window
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 13:42:49 -0700

> > If there are many voices for `S-mouse-1' etc., then I'd ask that
> > `mouse-1-click-follows-link' act for them as well, but, still,
> > `S-mouse-2' would be the standard, following the Emacs `mouse-2'
> > convention.
>
> I am for S-mouse-1 to open the link a new frame (mouse-1 follow link of
> course) since that is what most users would expect.

1. `mouse-1' does not follow a link, "of course" - that behavior is
user-configurable, and so should be the behavior of `S-mouse-1'. That was my
point.

Personally, I am against `mouse-1' following links by default, and likewise
`S-mouse-1', but I can live with a counter decision. But in any case, this
must be user-controllable with a user option. I proposed to use
`mouse-1-click-follows-link' to control both.

2. And I proposed that we revisit the default value of
`mouse-1-click-follows-link', now that people have had ample opportunity to
try it. We made the default value what it is for the reason you gave, IIRC:
it "is what most [new] users would expect". But those same new users might
prefer the opposite configuration if they were aware of it.

There are many cases where we prefer and choose a different default behavior
from what people might be used to outside of Emacs, because the Emacs
behavior is superior. I, for one, think this is the case for `mouse-2' and
links. It is really not difficult to figure out that you click `mouse-2' to
follow text that is highlighted when you mouseover it.

I think this is a case of pandering to external habit with no real benefit.
Honestly, how many of you (not new users) keep the default value of
`mouse-1-click-follows-link'? Outside of Emacs, there is not the same need
for the normal use of `mouse-1' to set point. Yes, we have found a mostly
workable way for `mouse-set-point' to coexist with following links. But I
find it to be a poor juggling of conflicting behaviors and a poor substitute
for the superior behavior of `mouse-1' to set point and `mouse-2' to follow
links.

Why is there not such a conflict between `mouse-2's role in pasting and its
role in following links? I suppose it's because you paste less often than
you set point, and you don't paste into a link. Honestly, pre-Emacs 22, did
you ever run into a UI conflict between pasting and following a link? And
just as honestly, with Emacs 22 have you ever accidentally followed a link
when you just wanted to select a buffer or window or move the cursor?