Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 02:55:45 +0300

>     The splash screen is turned off on ttys, as well as after starting Emacs
>     with command line options "-f", "-funcall", "-e", "-eval", "-execute",
>     "-insert", "-find-file", "-file", "-visit", because beginners don't start
>     Emacs with these arguments.  So now Emacs displays the startup screen
>     only when started with a file name like "emacs FILE..." on a window
> system.
>
> I tried it now, and it seems to be good.
>
> I guess the echo area change is ok.  So you don't have to undo it.

Please confirm should the same changes be made in Emacs-22?  There were
complaints about the undesired behavior of the startup screen in the
released version.  It would be good to fix this for Emacs-22.2.

What would be the minimal set of necessary changes for the Emacs-22 branch?
To turn the startup screen off on ttys, turn it off with non-file action command
line arguments, something more?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/