RE: generate 3) S-mouse-2: follow link in new window

From: Davis Herring
Subject: RE: generate 3) S-mouse-2: follow link in new window
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:10:44 -0700 (PDT)

[Sorry if this arrives twice; my mailer says it didn't send it the first
time.]

> Honestly, how many of you (not new users) keep the default value of
> `mouse-1-click-follows-link'? Outside of Emacs, there is not the same
> need for the normal use of `mouse-1' to set point.  Honestly,
> pre-Emacs 22, did you ever run into a UI conflict between pasting and
> following a link? And just as honestly, with Emacs 22 have you ever
> accidentally followed a link when you just wanted to select a buffer
> or window or move the cursor?

I keep that default value without trouble.  I don't think I have ever
wanted to mouse-paste into a link, but mouse-1 is certainly easier to use
when one's mouse-2 is a wheel.  And I don't think I've ever accidentally
followed a link, because I rarely want to set point in one (they're not
often editable, for instance) and I rarely want to set point with the
mouse anyway (with the exception of long, wrapped buffer lines where some
short sequence of arrows, word motion, and C-a/C-e doesn't do what I
want).  If I did want to set point in a link, the same absurd amount of
conditioning (in such places as web browsers) that produced the mouse-1
suggestion in the first place makes me think twice about just clicking, so
that I remember to hold the button for a bit without any trouble.

(That said, I don't really care one way or the other about what mouse-1
does on a link; it's not exactly hard to, after mouse-1 just sets point,
move a finger by a centimeter and use mouse-2 instead.  I just don't think
that the current default is a bad one.)

Davis

shipping.