Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:08:16 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

>   >     ! "           For this window of the frame:
>   >     ! mouse-1: select (drag to resize), mouse-2: maximize, mouse-3:
> vanish")
>   >
>   > "delete" would be better than "vanish".
>   >
>   > Aside from that, do people like it?
>
> I do (provided "vanish" is replaced with something better).

Let me just explain the motivation for "vanish" here so that perhaps
someone can come up with a better term: "delete", "remove" or "close"
(which I also considered) could make the naive user worry that his
buffer or even his file will get deleted.  While "close" at least does
not cause this worry for the _file_, it might still surprise the user
that the buffer stays around.  "evaporate" does not really help.
"hide" might be an idea.  "unmap" is probably most accurate, but I am
not sure whether it might be somewhat too technical.

But it's probably the best I can think of, at least better than
"vanish".

--
David Kastrup