Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:01:21 -0400

> I agree, and I even more like three lines tooltip as this
> for this case:

>       mouse-1: select (drag to resize)
>       mouse-2: maximize
>       mouse-3: delete

> But, for echo area, I prefer one line tooltip.

I think that echo-area tooltips deserve to be massaged to avoid this kind of
mess: Drew uses a single-line vry-long minibuffer-only frame, so any
multiline message in the echo area is undesirable.  David OTOH seems to use
the more common 80-columns frame with its own resizable echo-area, so long
text is bad but multiple lines are not.

To deal with both situations, we'll need for Emacs to automatically adjust
the message's format to the minibuffer's shape.
E.g. the messages could be spread over several lines and an option would
make Emacs put those lines back together with something like

  (mapconcat 'identity (split-string MSG "\n") " | ")

this way, Drew (and myself as well since I use a similar setup) could just
set this variable and not suffer from other people's preference for
multiple lines.

        Stefan