Is this patch of gnus/pop3.el reasonable?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Is this patch of gnus/pop3.el reasonable?
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 00:38:05 +0200

I am currently cleaning through unchecked changes in my Emacs tree.  I
found that I have made the following change, presumably in order to
stop pop3 fetching from hanging in some cases with a possibly patchy
pop3 server.  Could also be related to coding system translation or
something.

Now the question is whether this is a bad idea to check into upstream.
I can't see that it will affect operation where the server is correct,
and it might avoid hangs where it isn't.

What do you think?