Re: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:42:07 +0200

"Davis Herring" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Davis,

>> 2. I added a simple around advice to `view-file' that asks to use
>>    `doc-view' instead of `view-file' if file is a pdf, ps or dvi file.
>>    This enables users to use the normal `v' command in dired to open
>>    document files.
>
> We would prefer this implemented without advice -- perhaps just by
> rebinding v in Dired to a new, simple function
> `view-or-doc-view-file',

If I rebind this key in doc-view.el then the documentation has to be
extended to tell the user that (require 'doc-view) re-binds it.

I could change that in dired, too, but there may be users that want to
use dired but not doc-view.

Maybe the right thing to do is to add an autoload cookie for doc-view
and change `dired-view-file' to recognize pdf, ps and dvi files.  What
do you think?

>> The patch is a bit large because the current version was indented
>> with spaces, this one uses both spaces and tabs (width 8) as it's the
>> default for emacs.
>
> That makes your patch quite hard to read, and causes CVS conflicts
> with everyone who has unchecked-in changes to the file.  There's
> nothing wrong, I don't think, with fixing the indentation on lines
> that you change, but otherwise it's best to leave it alone.

Oh, too bad.  But now I think I cannot revert the whitespace changes...

> (This is why I'm not sure whether your patch makes the set of
> doc-viewable file types a user option.)

No, that's no user option.  For all doc-view supported file-types (pdf,
ps and dvi) the user will be queried to open the file with doc-view
instead of view-file.

Bye,
Tassilo