Re: [Fwd: Frame Height Different for Default Frame and Additional Frames

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Frame Height Different for Default Frame and Additional Frames]
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:24 +0200

> It has not been fixed.  Further more, different toolkits/ports needs
> different fixes, so the w32 port needs its own unique fix.

I see.  But isn't this frame size increase hardcoded in the following
section of frame.c?

  /* This used to be done _before_ calling x_figure_window_size, but
     since the height is reset here, this was really a no-op.  I
     assume that moving it here does what Gerd intended (although he
     no longer can remember what that was...  ++KFS, 2003-03-25.  */

  /* Add the tool-bar height to the initial frame height so that the
     user gets a text display area of the size he specified with -g or
     via .Xdefaults.  Later changes of the tool-bar height don't
     change the frame size.  This is done so that users can create
     tall Emacs frames without having to guess how tall the tool-bar
     will get.  */
  if (toolbar_p && FRAME_TOOL_BAR_LINES (f))
    {

      bar_height = DEFAULT_TOOL_BAR_IMAGE_HEIGHT + 2 * margin + 2 * relief;
      FRAME_LINES (f) += (bar_height + FRAME_LINE_HEIGHT (f) - 1) /
FRAME_LINE_HEIGHT (f);
    }

If I understand this code correctly, it always adds some lines to the
default frame when a toolbar is present.  Apparently it fails to do so
for the initial frame on w32.  The first comment is not really an
enlightment in this regard.

Could you clarify two things: (1) How is this code related to initial
frames and default frames; does (should) it affect only the latter or
both ?  (2) Doesn't the (toolbar_p && FRAME_TOOL_BAR_LINES (f))
condition hardcode a size increase whenever a toolbar is present ?

Also, the second comment seems to indicate that the frame size should
remain constant regardless of whether a toolbar is present or not.  Is
this correct ?