Re: frame-local variables weirdness

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: frame-local variables weirdness
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:37:34 +0200

On 10/11/07, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd much rather disallow variables that are both buffer-local and frame-local.

I think the problem is between frame-local and automatically
buffer-local variables, not just buffer-local ones.

> What is the use-case?

I don't have a use case, and I don't really care one way or the other,
but they have been documented to work for a long time. From
"Frame-Local Variables":

  Buffer-local bindings take precedence over frame-local bindings.
  Thus, consider a variable `foo': if the current buffer has a
  buffer-local binding for `foo', that binding is active; otherwise, if
  the selected frame has a frame-local binding for `foo', that binding is
  active; otherwise, the default binding of `foo' is active.

And they do work, if swap_in_symval_forwarding is not called before
`make-variable-buffer-local'.

How do you propose disallowing them? By fixing the documentation, or
are you saying that setting a variable to be both will throw an error?

             Juanma