Re: Doc-view as default viewer for pdf, ps and dvi files

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Doc-view as default viewer for pdf, ps and dvi files
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:28:11 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> I still have doubts that `C-c C-e' is necessary.  Isn't it possible to
> put .ps files in ps-mode, and also put it in `doc-view-minor-mode'?
> It would be like `image-minor-mode'.

Delayed.  If someone else wants to implement that, feel free to do so.

> Also rebinding `C-x k' to a different command is not a good thing.
> When the user has a habit to type `C-x k RET' to kill the current
> buffer, then if a pdf file was visited from the dired buffer, typing
> `C-x k RET' in doc-view-mode will visit it again (rebound `C-x k' will
> kill the buffer without confirmation, and RET will revisit from the
> dired buffer :-)
>
> I suggest you to bind `q' to `doc-view-kill-proc-and-buffer' and don't
> rebind `C-x k'.

I removed the `C-x k' binding but still use `k' for
`doc-view-kill-proc-and-buffer' because I like `q' to bury-buffer.

> Also I noticed that often the message
> "DocView: finished conversion from PDF/PS to PNG!"
> overwrites the message
> "Type C-c C-c to toggle between image and text display."
> in the minibuffer, so the user may miss this information.

I deleted all messages that became superfluous due to mode-line-process.

See my message <address@hidden>.

Bye,
Tassilo