Re: frame-local variables weirdness

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: frame-local variables weirdness
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:56:46 -0400

> I don't like the idea of forbidding the mixing of frame-local and
> buffer-local bindings just because we haven't figured out the bug
> that makes them not work.

> If we understood the problem, and saw that fixing it would be hard,
> that could be a valid reason to document it instead of fix it.

It's probably not hard to fix: but it'll take us time and energy for
a feature that nobody has ever used.  And the fix will probably make the
code a bit more complex, require a few more fields in some structure,
etc...

I simply think we should move in the direction of dropping frame-local
variables in favor of something else.  A first step in that direction is to
disallow the more complex aspects of frame-local variables which have never
been used and thus do not deserve to be supported.

        Stefan