Re: region-active-p

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: region-active-p
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:33:38 +0200

Am Dienstag, 23. Oktober 2007 19:53 schrieb Richard Stallman:
>     > When commands in XEmacs call this, do they also test
>     > for a nonempty region?  Or do they operate on the region
>     > when it is empty?
>
>     No.
>
> What does "no" mean in this context?  (Please don't ask which part of
> "no" I don't understand.)

Was intended as the answer of your last question and followed be some
explanation. Sorry if it was not clear enough.

>       AFAIU `zmacs-region-extent' checks for a physical extend, it may be nil
> or
>     have a value, for example I got
>
> What does "checks for a physical extend" mean?

As "physical" I understand something that exists and
has a body, an extend. An empty buffer I understand as of no extend, but
existing.

Thus the mark may exist whereas the region has no
extention. Thats possible with mark-active and
region-exist-p.

Therefor

(not (eq (region-beginning) (region-end)))

as proposed by Juri for Emacs looks necessary to be
sure.

Andreas Röhler